Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Oh the places you will go...

While I was getting a delightful massage in a lovely spa for approximately US$11 in Manila today, I had one of those moments where it hits me how very lucky I am to have the wonderful/crazy/fun/bizzare experiences that I have had in life. I have been fascinated with travel since I was a very little girl in living in small-town Colorado- and wow, I am really fortunate to have been so many wonderful places in my life. I also recently had to provide a list of all of the countries I have visited in the past 10 years to the Indian government for my visa, which made me wonder....exactly how many countries have I been to? Well, let's find out (in quasi alphabetical order and sovereign territories included)

A: Argentina, Australia, Aruba
B: Bahamas
C: Canada, Chile, Colombia, China
D:
E: Egypt, and the airport in Ethiopia
F: France
G: Germany, Gibralter
H: Hong Kong
I: India (tomorrow!), Indonesia, Italy
J: Japan
K: Kenya
L: (Hoping to go to Laos soon!)
M: Malaysia, Morocco, Mexico, Macau
N:
O:
P: Philippines, Peru, Portugal
Q:
R:
S: Singapore, Spain
T: Thailand, Tanzania
U: Uruguay, United Kingdom, USA!
V: Vatican City (aka: the Holy See... it counts! and crossing my fingers for a trip to Vietnam soon!)
W:
X:
Y:
Z: Zanzibar used to be a country- does that count? No? Darn.....

This makes 33 foreign countries & territories which is well more than my age- not too shabby. (and I know Dave will readily point out if I have forgotten one or counted wrong....) And, with our recent trip down under- I have been to every continent except Antarctica- and you better believe its on my list.

And, for those who are counting, I have as of today been to 7 countries in the past year (Singapore, Indonesia 2x, Malaysia 10000x, Thailand 2x, Philippines 1x, Japan 1x, Australia 1x and the US 1x). With India soon making it 8!

This alpha list tells me I need to start hitting countries which start with D (I could do Denmark), N: (Nepal? New Zealand?), O: (Oman is the only 1!), Q: (Qatar is alone with the Q), R: (I have been thinking about Russia), W: (The W's are kind of weak, Western Sahara perhaps?) Y: (Yemen has the sole honors here) and Z:  (Zimbabwe is probably out of the question, so we will shoot for Zambia)- and there are NO countries which start with X! All in all- those letters are sort of hard- not a lot of really easy choices there!

For my final statistic, I am currently in the 3rd country I have been in since Sunday night, and will be in my 4th by Thursday morning. That is a LOT of different currencies hanging about in my wallet!

Ahhh- life is pretty cool- I am thankful for the opportunity to get each and every one of those passport stamps- and looking forward to collecting many many more!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment