Thursday, July 22, 2010

"Kiasu" Update!

In the midst of my drafting my ranting blog at work during my "lunch break" my always fabulous office mate came in so I took the opportunity to discuss the concept of kiasu with her. Wendy is a native Singaporean, although she prefers living in Tokyo- cannot blame her there- so she has plenty of experience in kiasu behavior.

Me: Wendy, do you know what kiasu means?
Wendy: *giggles* Of course- it is as Singaporean as the Merlion.

I. could. have. died. laughing.

She is right of course, it has somehow become an intrinsic element of Singapore culture. And it was encouraging to know that it irritates sensible natives as much as sensitive expats. She confirmed that contrary to popular assumption, they do not in fact teach repetitive elevator button pushing in school. She also confirmed my suspicion that the worst offenders of basic subway etiquette are smallish old ladies with a deep running mean streak.

Some of the nagging questions of the world solved, by Wendy.

No comments:

Post a Comment