Friday, January 28, 2011

Chinatown Festivities Part I

Since we will be away for the actual Chinese New Year action (and basically every day until then) my goal for this week was to take time to wander around Chinatown and take some pictures of all the amazing celebrations! I convinced Dave and friends K. and S. to come along for the adventure.
Yup, nothing like a giant inflatable Chinese man to celebrate the Lunar New Year. I told my friend J. in the US that I would bring her home one, it would look great in hear front yard. 

First stop on the tour was a very red tent selling some very red CNY decorations. Lots of them. 

Anyone need a GIANT paper pineapple? 

No? OK- how about a spinning golden pineapple with a bunny inside for the low low price of $34.80? 
Come on, I make you special deal. 

Bunnies, bunnies everywhere. 
I am thinking that next year's CNY decorations (Year of the Dragon coming right up) or last years (See ya later Year of the Tiger) were probably cooler than this year's mascot. 
Who can resist buying 12 mini red plastic lanterns for only 2 dollars! Such a steal! 



The next adventure in the tour was to watch some auction action. 
No clue how much things were going for, but it was heated. 
Here's a little video action:

Dave found the real prize- the beer tent. That's right, "Celebrate Togetherness with Tiger"

OK- I reallllly wanted one of these guys. I rarely get too excited about trinkets, but I do love me some Elephants. Unfortunately the guy started the bartering at S$150 and seeing as I had a beer in one hand and a rather expensive camera in the other, I figured my negotiating position was pretty low, so I had to pass. Maybe next time elephant friends, you'd look super on my desk. 


No comments:

Post a Comment