Saturday, May 22, 2010

Ode to the best kitchen toy ever...


I love Pineapples. Love them. They win the award for best fruit in my book. But much to my chagrin I think pineapples are a huge pain in the ass to cut up. I hate when you get the prickly bits left on the outside, I hate when you get a bite of the hard core. Icky. And this yuckyness really cuts down on my motivation to eat the wonder fruit. While in the U.S. I would have marched in to the nearest Whole Foods and purchased an overpriced cup of perfectly pre-cut chunks of Dole goodness- I cannot bring myself to eat fresh cut fruit from the fruit market here due to questionable hygiene standards and the apparent lack of running water- the two are likely related.

So imagine my delight to have had the foresight to acquire the worlds best kitchen gadget before we left for exile island, which has solved all of these pesky problems! I had a thought that perpetual summer in S.W. Asia would lead to perpetual reasonably priced pineapple- and on this point I was thankfully correct. It may in fact be the only useful thing I bought in anticipation of our sojourn to the orient- (the boxes and boxes of kraft macaroni and cheese and tubs of peanut butter have proved to be dramatically less valuable given their wide spread availability in Singapore- opps). And now, I am so in love with my pineapple toy that I just had to share it with everyone. It goes a little something like this:
Step one- cut top and bottom off of pineapple. 

Then the slicer gets pressed into the pineapple. 

A few twists later- you get the PERFECT pineapple rings! 

If anyone is tempted to own this little piece of heaven, they can be found at Williams-Sonoma. http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/pineapple-easy-slicer/?pkey=x|4|1||4|pineapple||0&cm_src=SCH

And in a related idea..... if any family member out there happens to read this and notes that Williams-Sonoma is not a retail outlet available here in the Sing... I may have my eyes on the following useful kitchen item... and also may have a birthday coming up =) 

No comments:

Post a Comment