Friday, April 9, 2010

Kindle Envy

Never once in my life have I been the person with the coolest new gadget- and I mean never. I never buy the newest "in" cell phone, I have never waited in line at the apple store to be the first to own anything, my computers are always run-of-the-mill, I even still own a VCR…. but here in Singapore- I am finally the cool kid with the fanciest toy anyone has ever seen. All thanks to my Kindle. It has been unbelievable the amount of attention that my Kindle draws in public. People strike up conversations with me on the subway, read over my shoulder while I am waiting in lines, even approach me while I am having lunch- all to ask about the book. Singaporeans pride themselves on being having the latest and greatest when it comes to technology- but amazingly eBooks haven't quite made it here- and Kindles in specific are not available here- so they are fascinated. You technically cannot even use your Kindle in Singapore, but we are currently exploiting a loophole in the system by keeping them registered in the US. Shhh- don't tell Amazon.

And while I am still totally in love with my Kindle, and it has improved my quality of life greatly since I received it as a gift last month (thanks again Linda!) it has become almost a hassle to use it in public places because people are so interested in it! I may need to come up with a disguise- or look less friendly. But I have to admit, it does *sort of* make me feel cool to tell my Kindle's adoring fans that, no, this baby is not available in the Sing.

2 comments:

  1. This is hilarious. Sounds like you may need one of those books they have in the movies- you know, the kinds with the insides hollowed out? Although, I suppose it may defeat the convenience factor of the Kindle itself...

    Having fun reading all your stories! I'll live vicariously through you. Even if I had a chance to go somewhere exotic like that, my food issues would fully preclude me from enjoying myself. Or from staying nourished. Sounds like you guys are having a ball! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have a Kindle, but I do have the Barnes and Noble twin - the Nook - and I love it. And I am almost always the last one in the family (extended and otherwise) to have the latest "gadget". However, I am the only one in the immediate family to have an ebook.

    I have enjoyed reading your stories - thank you so much for being so faithful about keeping us all up to date over here.

    And I would love to have all that fruit available!

    ReplyDelete